W T Flight-01

033-Geoff

W T Flight-01

Post by 033-Geoff »

I've just done my first flight for the World Tour event, short time ago! :D ( a totally new experience for me, as I've only ever flown "ad-hoc" without much reference to performance figures etc). This time I was going to use my copy of UK Air Ministry WWII Pilots' Notes (RAF Dakota IV), but had trouble finding it as we've packed a lot of stuff for a move!
Having completed the flight I found I was under the estimated flight time by a bit, so I had another hunt for the Pilots' Notes and found it! It looks like I flew the trip using approximately "Max Performance Cruise" settings, so it got me there quicker but used more fuel than I should have! :? I'll try for a more economical cruise on the next flight and see how that goes.
Being my first go at such as this, I completely forgot about taking any screenshots! It's a nice area for scenery!

028-Ard

Re: W T Flight-01

Post by 028-Ard »

Good to see that your "Notes Dakota " are still as valuable as they were in the old days. Apparently , I did make the same effort as you to end the flight shorter than the indicated time. Got a hint that I was stretching the performance. Now I have flown 01 again and used settings from the DC3 handbook, e.g. cruise 2100 RPM and MP 30 in mercury and indeed my flight time came closer to the indicated time.

Don't forget to post your pirep, special for World Tour and ......

shall be posted before tomorrow 5th October 1200 UTC.

033-Geoff

Re: W T Flight-01

Post by 033-Geoff »

Thanks, Ard.
I wasn't really trying to get a fast time, I just didn't pay much attention to the power settings I was using! :? I've not flown the Dakota much for a fair while, and forgotten much of what I learned about it! I just wish I could have had a trip in a real one! I'm old enough to remember seeing them still working with small airlines in the UK, and Air Atlantique still have theirs flying here, but the only ones I have actually been IN were all static display museum pieces!
It still is one of my all time favourite aircraft!