W T Flight02

033-Geoff

W T Flight02

Post by 033-Geoff »

Flew this one (in FSX) with "Fair Weather" theme.
Set f/planned altitude for 5000ft as breifing - ATC cleared me to 5000, but no sooner had I reached it than the told me to go up to 7000! A short time later, instruction to descend to 6100! Before I'd got down they wanted me back at 7000!! :evil: This Yo-Yo went on for several repeats, until I requested 7000 instead of 5000 as cruise alt! Thereafter they let me stay at 7000.
The 'fair weather' gave me a 20Kn Westerly wind (virtually direct tailwind), and my timer screwed up, so I totted up times from Navlog - I don't know if they're correct but it only totalled 95 minutes!
I guess I'll fly this one again! I don't trust that enough to submit it as PIREP!

028-Ard

Re: W T Flight02

Post by 028-Ard »

hi , Yes me flying FSX had exactly the same with the ATC altitude changes. after request my own alt. it stayed constant. In thelatter end of the flight ATC also commanded a different route than my flight plan. I followed it and later came back to my flight plan. Next time I think I will not use ATC as it makes flying only more difficult than that it helps you

033-Geoff

Post by 033-Geoff »

Hi Ard,

I don't know how to avoid using ATC if it's an IFR flight - You get your clearance and they then expect you to remain under instructions. I suppose, if you ignore them after takeoff, they will sooner or later cancel off the IFR flight plan and leave you to your own devices!
On other IFR flight planned routes I've taken, the ATC always divert me off the actual straight-line approach to the airport, and give vectors to get me into the correct approach for the ILS/runway in use. From back when I was involved in British Civil Aviation Authority I seem to think this is quite normally the way IFR approaches are handled if a specific Set Approach has not been planned in.

I think that the ATC (at least in FSX) must have a set minimum terrain clearance for IFR flights. I've had the "up and down" situation before if they didn't agree with my Altitude selection. I've found that as long as I request a level up around where they first send me from planned level, it usually seems to be adequate! When you have a planned altitude that doesn't maintain their minimums over the varying terrain, they keep adjusting you to the nearest available height above your selection that does provide min clearance, always dropping you back to as near your selected height as they can, It's ruddy frustrating when you are bobbing up or down trying to achieve their current request even before you got to the last one!

033-Geoff

Post by 033-Geoff »

I flew trip 02 again, still with IFR and same weather theme, but this time my Timer was working OK. I selected 7000ft in flight planner and didn't get shunted up and down on the way! I still had the 20Kn tailwind, and flight time turned out to be bout an hour and three quarters! I was clocking up IAS of around 132Kn but getting G/S of 164Kn!

028-Ard

Post by 028-Ard »

033-Geoff wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2023 3:37 pm Hi Ard,

I don't know how to avoid using ATC if it's an IFR flight - You get your clearance and they then expect you to remain under instructions. I suppose, if you ignore them after takeoff, they will sooner or later cancel off the IFR flight plan and leave you to your own devices!
what I normally do , when not willing to fly IFR is. to start the flight with the automatic ATC switched off. then further not touching the ATC window. No messages are reported and you can fly you own route. Indeed , if you not react on ATC messages, after some 3-4 recalls , the ATC is automatically stopped. I think in the options there is even a possibility to cancel IFR .